Monday, June 11, 2007

Unintentional Adult Bullying

Do you sometimes feel that people don't take you serious as a young adult? Yes, I know. It's a huge bugbear in my life.

I've been living as an adult since age 18 and had my own business since 20. Being bullied as a young teenager also matures you very quickly. Yet, people don't know that though and sometimes treat me like I'm stupid; They'd talk right over me, ignore me or look at me in astonishment when I say something they don't know - simply because I have experience in that particular field.

The reality is that they dismiss whatever I'm saying because I know more about a certain topic than they do and they think that I must be living in La-La-Land to think that I know more than they do. If I happen to make sense in what I'm saying they feel silly because they didn't think about it first!

I have a lot of experience about internet related things and have a few friends that know absolutely nothing about it. They'd sometimes ask me questions about it, and when I answer they'd say "But my friend X said this or that" when it's something I work with on a daily basis and know for a fact their friend is mistaken. I'd just shrug and say "then they obviously know what they are talking about - as them. If they don't get it right, come to me." and walk out. Hey - less work for me and I'm not going to look like a fool when it doesn't work!

People 8 years older than me and up seem to think they've got rights to shove me around and you know what - it doesn't actually bother me. I feel sorry for them.

I just look forward to the day they realise that they are wrong - and that day is inevitable!

No comments: